Fall doth arrive, and with it my incredible urge to cook up a storm. While I’ve been remiss in posting frequently the past few months, I promise it’s been for good reason: I’ve been working and cooking hard! As the weather turns to cool, my attention turns from salads to heartwarming soups. This recipe has been on my Pinterest board for many months, and now finally has a chance to shine.
Creamy Tortellini Soup
Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
- 24 oz tomato sauce
- 8 oz cream cheese or (for a lower fat option with a bit of bite, try Neufchâtel cheese)
- 4 cups chicken broth (Vegetarians: use vegetable or miso broth)
- 8 oz sliced fresh mushrooms
- 16 oz frozen cheese tortellini
- ½ bag (4.5 oz) fresh spinach leaves
- salt to taste
- Optional: 1/2 lb of country sausage
- Heat the slow cooker on low, place in cream cheese and stir until softened. Slowly pour in the tomato sauce, stirring and combining evening with the cream cheese.
- Once the cream cheese has mixed with the tomato sauce, add broth and mushrooms. Cook on low for 6 hours, on high for 2-3 hours.
- For those adding meat to your soup, heat a frying pan on medium and add in sausage rolled into small balls. Cook almost all the way through, then add them to the soup for the last hour of cooking.
- 20 minutes before serving, turn heat to high and stir in frozen tortellini and fresh spinach. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until tender and hot.
- Serve topped with parmesan or gouda cheese.
Thank you, Heather Likes Food for the inspiration and recipe!