Ahhhh, soup season. When the rains come in Portland, all I want is warm comfort food and soup is at the top of the list. Especially when I’m tired at the end of the day and need a fast, delicious meal (without opting for the nth time to order delivery), this black bean soup feeds my stomach and soup every time. The best part? Nearly all the ingredients are typical pantry staples, which means easy, affordable, and the perfect fail safe meal when all other inspiration leaves you. Plus it reheats well!
I’ve only made this soup using dairy cream cheese, but have been tempted to scope out a couple of vegan options. If you have a good vegan cream cheese brand or recipe you recommend, send it my way and I’ll give it a go! If you don’t have any cheese (dairy or otherwise), leave it out and you’ve got a delicious tortilla soup. Chicken leftovers? Shred it up and add it in for a simple leftover makeover. Play around with it and let me know what modifications are your favorite!
Black Bean Fiesta Soup
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 4 oz can of diced green chilis (or 1 jalapeño, minced)
- 1 14 oz can black beans, drained
- 1 8 oz can corn, drained (make sure to check there’s no added salt or sugar!)
- 1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup water
Taco seasonings mixture (modified from AllRecipes.com)
- 1 tbsp Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp crushed Red chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasonings mix
- 1 tsp Salt to taste
- Avocado, slided
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips (the soup doubles great as a dip, just leave out the 1/4 water for a thicker consistency)
- In a medium sauce pan, bring olive oil to medium-low heat and add in onions.
- Sauté until opaque, then add in chilis (or jalapeño), stirring frequently.
- Once the aromatics have sweated for a few minutes, add in 1 tbsp of your seasonings and sauté until fragrant.
- Stir in corn, tomatoes, black beans, and water, then let simmer for ~10-15 min.
- Stir in cream cheese quickly to prevent curdling and add more water if you prefer a thinner soup.
- Taste, add in more taco seasoning and/or salt, then let it rest for another 5-10 min before adding your (optional) toppers and enjoy your easy, delicious meal!
2 thoughts on “Black Bean Fiesta Soup”
For vegan cream cheese, Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese is my favorite. Miyoko’s is also pretty good.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks for the recommendation! I had also heard Kite Hill makes a good cream cheese option. I’ve had their yogurt, but not cream cheese. I’ll just need to eat bagels with all the cream cheese to taste test. 😊
LikeLiked by 2 people