Most bitter, peppery leaves and I don’t see eye to eye, particularly radicchio and arugula (sacrilege, I know). However, after experiencing killer radicchio salads from Tasty ‘n Sons and Nostrana, I decided to try creating my own version. It came out near to perfection. Try this lovely as a fish side dish or with a lemony main course. What would you pair it with?
Radicchio and Granny Smith Apple Salad
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
- 1 small head radicchio, sliced into long ribbons
- 1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Rosemary Anchovy sauce
- 1/4 cup toasted almond slices (toast them yourself to guarantee freshness)
- Asiago cheese, grated for garnish
- Lemon zest for garnish
Pro tip: Set the shredded apple in a cool salt water bath for a few minutes to avoid that pesky flesh browning. Won’t leave the citrus taste of lemon water!
- Originally, I shredded the apple rather than slicing, and while it’s fun to use kitchen appliances, I think I prefer slicing. If you want to try shredding, the cheese grating shredding adaptor for my food processor worked great. If your food processor does not have those extra settings/chopping inserts, a regular cheese grater will do just fine to get those thicker chunks of apple. Try both out and see what you like!
- Chop the radicchio lengthwise and pull apart so you don’t have huge chunks to negotiate.
- I took a few liberties with the original Rosemary dressing, adding thyme to compliment the lemon thyme chicken I was making that evening. Play around with the ingredients to make a dressing that’s most appealing to you! Toss the salad with half the dressing and taste test as you go to see if you may need more.
- Finish off the salad with toasted almond slices, grated Asiago and perhaps some lemon zest and serve!