Wow, bam, pow! That’s exactly how I felt while eating these delightful fritters at Easter brunch. First and foremost, a HUGE thank you to Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice for sharing this wonderful recipe. I initially found this recipe on Pinterest, promptly added it to my Food Porn board, and kept waiting for the perfect time to bust out the plate. With Easter here, I had an ideal group of guinea pigs to test out my newfound love. Happily, victory was mine and no fritters were left behind. Next time, I’ll use them to deliver friends some fancy egg sandwiches. Yeah, that’ll be a good one.
Bacon Cheddar Cauliflower Fritters
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 5 slices crispy cooked and crumbled bacon
- 3 scallions sliced thin and diced
- 1 + 1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced, seeds removed, optional
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper
- vegetable oil, for pan-frying
- sour cream and chopped chives or scallions, for garnish
- Steam the cauliflower until fork tender. Rinse with cold water or place them in a large bowl of ice water. Drain well then lightly mash with a potato masher or fork. Add the mashed cauliflower to a wire strainer or colander placed over a bowl to drain excess water 10 – 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl whisk together the eggs, bacon, scallions, jalapeno, 2 tablespoons of the flour and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Add the drained cauliflower into a large bowl and whisk in the egg mixture, stir in the cheese and the remaining cup of flour, baking powder and season again lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cover the bottom of a large nonstick skillet generously with oil and heat over medium heat. Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of batter into the skillet, flatten slightly and cook until golden brown, flip and cook until golden brown on the other side. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Add oil as needed to the pan and repeat until all the fritters are cooked. Serve with sour cream and fresh chopped chives or scallions for garnish.