During a recent après ski evening, some friends compiled a series of side dishes, and the quinoa, date and arugula salad simply stole my heart! It’s the perfect spring salad: mint, dates, peppery arugula and quinoa for some extra texture and protein. I made my own version and decided to add beets: huge win! The original concoction did not include cheese, but at a friend’s recommendation, I added some chèvre and it was a double win. Picnic season anyone?
As delicious as traditional mayo-based chicken salad, sometimes you need to change it up. I fell in love with the Cafe Yumm sauce a long time ago, and figured since I had some leftover chicken breast, why not try a different take on chicken salad?
This recipe is great if you’re looking for a fast, healthy lunch or even dinner. I ate the salad straight, but it would be delicious over kale, cabbage, or even mixed with quinoa. The apples and pepper add a nice crunch, and the Yumm Sauce is a healthier (gluten-free) alternative to the typical mayonnaise dressing.
- 1 tbs grape seed oil
- 1 chicken breast, cut into chunks
- 1 apple (Granny Smith or Gala is ideal)
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 1 diced avocado
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 diced red pepper
- 1 diced carrot
- 1/4 cup diced gouda or another sharp cheese
- 2 Tbs Yumm Sauce (more or less)
- Small handful of cilantro to taste
- Heat oil over medium heat, then add diced chicken, stirring frequently until cooked thoroughly, about 6-8 minutes.
- Let cool, then chop chicken into fine bites.
- In a bowl, add chicken and remaining ingredients through carrots.
- Combine with Yumm Sauce and toss until evenly coated.
Beets and I have been at odds with each other for years. While my parents have insisted that it is an amazing root, I have not seen eye to eye with them… until now.